There are as many solar, almost, as sun rays. It is not easy to move in that maze of products that appear every year in spring. Let's try to provide guidance on how to choose the one that suits us / interests / appeals to us:
What really defines sunscreens is their composition and how they act against radiation. Let's spend five minutes reading this: that time will allow us to be very calm later on the beach or in the pool.
Chemical or organic sunscreens:
Chemical protectors capture the sun's rays and transform them into energy that is not harmful to the skin. Su formulation is based on chemical compoundsThe best known are oxybenzone, octocrylene, avobenzone, octisalate, among others.
Physical or mineral sunscreens:
The objective of physical sunscreens is to act as a screen, since stay on the skin's surface and block sun absorption. Its main components are usually: zinc and iron oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, kaolin or talc.
Ideally, look for a combination of both, especially in areas such as facial skin, and take these aspects into account when choosing: skin phototype, latitude (more radiation the closer to the Equator) and altitude (beach or mountain), if you are pregnant or if you have especially sensitive skin or dermatitis.
We tell you some differences:
- The protectors chemicals need about 30 minutes to take effect while they are absorbed through the skin, so you should apply them before going out in the sun. The physical ones are of immediate effectas they are not absorbed by the skin.
- Chemicals, when absorbed through the skin, are at risk of allergies. Physicists, on the other hand, are recommended for sensitive piles and for children.
- Chemicals are easily and quickly absorbed by the skin, as their texture is more fluid and pleasant. Physicists often leave a white coating on the skin, although the modern and more advanced formulas allow that this effect does not remain if the cream works well with the skin.
Water resistant indicates a water resistance of 40 minutes. Water-proof a resistance to a bath of up to 80 minutes. In any case, it is advisable to reapply the protector after each bath, or if you sweat or dry off with the towel.
- Once opened, filters lose efficiency and last a maximum of 12 months. So yes: you have to buy a new protector every year.
- The physical lots are more respectful with the environment and they do not damage the Marine ecosystem (as long as do not contain nanoparticles). In mineral filters you have to avoid especially oxybenzone, octinoxate, water-soluble chemical filters and silicones.
Now we know the difference. We are ready to take a walk on the beach.